23 June 2021

Great Smoky Mountains and Appalachian Trail

 Spent several days in the National Park; the western half was highly eroded and wet and I don't have many fond memories.  The eastern half (well, it might have been the weather) was a lot nicer.

Climbed Clingman's Dome on the 21st and it was shrouded in fog.

 


You see we must have been quite a sight for the tourists. Hiking down from the highest point on the AT, I do remember whistling the Beatle's tune Yellow Submarine and that seemed to pick up the spirits.

At Newfound GAP BS'ed with tourists, probably the first time I had to explain what I was doing to a non-hiker.

The next day we hit Charlies Bunion.  Some great views from the cliffs.







Then on the 23rd of June 1974, we left the Smoky's with a crew of four guys. This is some of the dynamics of hiking the AT.  Everyone may be independent, but the companionship hiking and camping was an important part of the experience.

 I was looking forward to Hot Springs and a chance to buy some more food.  I was running low and hadn't anticipated my food consumption.  ( I recall later I was only 120 pounds when I got off the trail ).