18 June 2021

16 to 18 June 1974, Wesser, NC and north.

 Man, I was craving food the days before Wesser, NC. Got room in a motel and then the restaurant for cheeseburger and hot blueberry pie with ice cream. "WOW fantastic.'

At this point of the hike, I realized I was only doing 15 miles a day instead of the hoped 20, so I was falling behind in my "schedule."

I spent $25 in Wesser, $13 for meals and lodging and junk food! and another 11 for trail food. (Remember these are 1974 prices when minimum wage was $2.10 hour.)

My mom kept notes of my phone call home:

6/16 about 2:45 pm at Wesser, NC.....Motel tonight, enjoying 'vacation from a vacation".  Not in as good as shape as needed but "getting better." "Says faces possible roughest part of whole trail next couple of days."

17 June

14.6 miles, "not a ballbuster but a knew buster.  Wow!!!  The long ascents were exhausting but the descents hurt like hell; toes are ok, but right knee aches...."

Camped in middle of trail, but right now I cannot find the picture I had, sorry.

18 June

Knee ached off and on.  Washed clothes and bought food ($8.58).  Send postcards to family and friends. Mailed pint container, radio, mechanical pencil to lighten load (most people do this back in Neel GAP, GA.

Here is a shot of me at the Post Office in Fontana Dam.


One of my memories from this day, was my hike down hill to Fontana Village where I heard Tubular Bells from The Exorcist sound track.  Funny how you connect music with events.