08 June 2021

8th June 1974 Appalachian Trail

As you can see that I am giving a chronological history of my AT hike.  I don't plan on doing day by day, but these first couple of days were (and are) important to thru-hiker wannabees.

Today was a Saturday, not that  it mattered much.  In fact, Saturdays were only important on town days since you had to get to the Post Office before noon to pick up mail.

Slept in to 8:00 am and didn't start hiking until 10:30 am.  Saw several waterfalls and took a side trail (blue blazed) to somewhere as I "don't know where it went."

Hiked with Dean and Bill and a crew from Michigan with Sharon, Kay, Karen.

Total mileage was 9 miles on the AT.  Stayed at at a campsite north of Hawk Mtn. LT. 

That's me in the white on the right.

The trail used to cross Hawk Mountain (3619 ft), but was relocated around the summit in 1979.