25 June 2021

AT Memoirs

 I am reading an AT Memoir called "The Unlikely Thru-Hiker" by Derick (Mr. Fabulous) Lugo. AMC Books 2019.  I am about half way through the book and it is pretty good.  To be honest, it is good but not that "fabulous."

It is better than many titles who basically recite their journal entries day by day.  Those can get pretty boring.  And other start a philosophy about life and how the AT made them appreciate the finer things in life....like water, food, companionship, taking a shit in the woods and so on.

But Derick's books is an easy read.  Like I said I am only half way through.

My point about this diversion in recreation geography is that like life, we face the mountains, droughts and other obstacles every day. Some we overcome, and others, well we must accept those.

Long story short, for an EXCELLENT summary of AT Memoirs visit this great site.  Lugo's book is not listed, as others, but it gives you a sense of the impression the AT has on people and aspiring writers, including yours truly.

I have a small library of titles to yet read, but since this one is on loan, I want to wrap it up first.

Here is an AT picture to hold your interest.  It is a post card showing Henderson Court, in Hot Springs, NC that I stayed in 1974 on this date.  $7 for the bed.


Last thing, here is a short list of memoirs reviewed, that will help you prioritize your amazon purchases.