06 June 2021

Bus Trips and June 6th

 We have all had long travel trips.  Like the road trip to Florida from Maryland that took maybe 20 hours straight (by way of Easton, MD).  I couldn't sleep in the car, so I ended up driving most of the time.

Then there was a bus trip that took about 17 hours from Maryland to Georgia.  I had done many trips to NYC by bus, but for the one on June 6th, I wasn't meeting anyone.

From my journal (June 6, 1974)

"...from Baltimore 5:00 pm to Washington 6:00 pm to Greensboro 3:30 am to Asheville 6:30 am long hot trip.  Didn't get enough sleep about 2 hours of halfassed sleep.

7 June Friday

Got to Dahlonega about 11:00 am.  Left for Amicalola Falls at 12:1=05 arriving 1/2 hour later.  It was an extremly hard climb to Springer. About 6 hours.  Boy was I beat!!  The bus trip cost $2.85 from Dahlonega to State Park.  I got really depressed today but am feeling better at 8:30 pm done dinner, an talking with people at the shelter.  They are really friendly.  They are from Maine & Michigan....."