15 October 2022

Camping out in the AT Berkshires (Tuesday 15 October 1974)

 On the 15th of October 1974. I was hiking on the AT south.  I camped out some 3 miles south of Dalton.  As I recall it was a cloudy day.






This is the historic topo for the area south of Dalton, so I camped out somewhere here.


And this map of my hike into Warner Hill area more recently.  I tried the AT on one trip but after climbing Warner Hill, I saw a fairly steep descent into the former homestead.  On the next trip I followed the old wood road into the settlement.


Notice the foundations on this LiDAR image on the AT corridor.


And some details here, showing stone walls, and foundations of the 19th century farm.  Blue lines represent the NPS boundary while the red (even chopped off) shows the Trail:


Here are some pics of the foundations taken November 2020.


This is a north/south roadway.










You can see this old road from the air photos.






Here is a Mass GIS air photo from 2021 showing cleared Warner Hill (old apple orchard) on left and old wood road on right.


So, next time you want to virtually explore an area, try Google Earth with historic imagery and topo maps.

LiDAR maps are a bit more difficult to find so search "LiDAR viewer" and "location" to see what might be available.  The imagery varies by location, availability and quality.