16 October 2022

AT RELO in Washington, MA (16th October 1974)

 Hiking south on the 16th of October I awoke to rain.  "Shit, I said, hoping it would stop before I got up.  Well it didn't, so I hike to this LT losing the relocation around Washington Town Hall.  I followed the old AT,  I arrived at the October MT LT before noon, changed my wet clothes & made pancakes for lunch , cause I didn't have any break."

A seven mile day. See the old and new maps of the trail below.




On a later trip I hiked the new section of trail and took these pics.




Notice this stone wall.







I found a few stone walls along the new trail and the LiDAR image with the historic map gives me a clue about who lived there.


Of course you would know this if you used the 1939 trail guide.


Berkshire Hills Conference. 1939. “The Berkshire Hills, Members of the Federal Writers'

Project of the Works Progress Administration for Massachusetts”. Funk & Wagnalls Co: NY.


The next day, I left the trail.