06 April 2010

ISSRM in Malaysia June 2011 !


Just found out that the International Symposium on Society and Resource Management will be held at the Sutera Harbour in Malaysia next June 2011. Time to start with the Anticipation Phase of the Recreation Experience and do my "virtual tourism" stuff. I have gone to this conference since my grad school days in 1988. I have probably attended the conference a dozen times both in the States, but also abroad in 4 different countries.

Gotta' start thinking how to Budget it. Whew, current exchange rate is about $1US to 3.2 MYR (Malaysia Ringgets), and air from BOS to BWN for this summer (not next year) starts at $3700US. Whew again.

And I still need to come up with a research paper topic. Oh well. Do a Google Earth search on the region to get psyched!

4 comments:

  1. Even though traveling is draining physically it also drains something else and that is your wallet. I spent 2850$ to get to belize last year but it was totally worth all of that money. I am still trying to recover from that trip let alone doing a trip every year. Man oh man I wish that I could do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I am Hassanal, the vice-chair for ISSRM 2011 Malaysia. I am glad that you are planning to come to the ISSRM in Kota Kinabalu. The team here already started to work to ensure that the conference is going to be a great one. Since it is a long way from USA, we suggested participants to take their holiday as well so you can find pre- and post-tour conference information available at the official website. Try to get airticket to KUL or BWN or SIN. From there on, there are many airlines that will suit your budget to BKI. Internet airfares are quite cheap too. Let me know if you need any information regarding the travel to Kota Kinabalu or Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I'm looking forward to ISSRM 2011. I agree with Dr. Hassanal about flying into KUL or SIN, but with KUL you have the added benefit of being able to fly to Kota Kinabalu with Air Asia, one of the region's budget airlines. I've flown with Air Asia 4 times now and can attest to their quality and amazing prices (make sure you 'supersize' your luggage allowance when booking online - this will save a lot on costly excess baggage fees at the counter).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps this might help:

    www.malaysiaairlines.com (good pricing here especially for domestic/regional routes)

    www.airasia.com (amazing price but budget style)

    ReplyDelete