28 August 2021

Frenchies Rooming House, Monson, ME

Can't find any reference to this; it might be the new(er) Shaw's Hiker Hostel. In any case back on this date in 1974, a room was $7.00.  I mailed 10 post cards out to tell friends and family that I survived the 100 mile wilderness.  Even with mud and rain. 

You need to remember this was 1974 BC, that is Before Cells/Computers.

Monson was 11 miles south of Little Wilson Stream CG, although it might have been a LT.  I don't remember.

Before Monson, I hiked past Jim Whyte's Hideout. Read about this story in Jeffrey Ryan's book.

If you have old AT Guidebooks, his hideout is found on the trail maps, but it was a side trail and I was humping it to Monson.  This is a clip of the USGS 1:62500 map (Sebec Lake, ME) and the marker is just south of the trail leading to Big Wilson Cliffs, where Jim would watch the rail road for a drop of drugs from Canada.  Interesting story.