22 July 2020

Trail Work on the Appalachian Trail

Yesterday, I spent the day with 8 other volunteers sweating in the Tyringham Valley on the Appalachian Trail.  I say sweat, but nothing like the dedicated folks who were out this past weekend.

You may know that I write a lot about the AT, and after a chance to do some trail work yesterday, I figured I would share some of photos from the day.

The project was to relocate a short section of the AT away from a wetlands area that had to be bridged and was still muddy.  Cutting through the brush was tough, but the ground was higher and dryer.  This trail sign is actually on Webster Road, the route I took from home to check out my monitoring section.


A bit west, we parked at the Tyringham Cobble parking lot and hiked about a mile into the area that needed the work.


  

We had to move some rocks, and then backfill the holes.


But these rocks were moved to build steps for the some brook that had to be crossed.


A nice cleared trail was blazed and will help keep the hikers feet dry.


A great day with some great volunteers.  We practiced all the ATC Covid-19 Guidelines.