05 June 2020

June 5th, 1975

What were you doing on this date?

Well, from my journal, it was a Thursday and I was hiking the AT and arrived at the Farmers Mill LT at 4 pm  a total of 18.5 miles from my stay at Indian Lake LT.  It had been raining and as frequent on the AT "...my boots are wet..."  I was planning to get to Pawling NY the next day.

The two shelters I stayed in are no longer there.  Ed Garvey noted both in his (required reading) Appalachian Hiker (1971). And I checked the 1987 Data Book and both are missing.

I was also "paranoid" about entering Connecticut without a map or guidebook since I had not anticipated my 20 plus mile days in NJ and NY.

Oh yeah, the roof of the LT leaked.

So, in my search to find info on the old leantos I came across this one in Maine.  I didn't stay here, but passed it on August 26th, 1974.