24 March 2019

Stone Walls and LiDAR

I took Bubba-Doo hiking to day and did a little bushwhacking in the Westfield Wildlife Management Area west of Honey Pot Road.  It is a nice area to hike and even has some old growth forests on the NW edge near Granville Road.

Anyway, on this visit and others, I photographed an old stone wall.  Stone walls are an interesting landscape feature here in New England, and there are estimates of thousands (yes 1,000's) of miles of these walls in the Northeast back country.

I love finding these walls and I am even more excited about the discovery using remote sensing technology with LiDAR.  LiDAR stands for light detection and ranging.

So here are some shots of the stone walls in the WMA.





Visiting NOAA LiDAR data viewer you get this air photo and LiDAR image.




Lastly you can see the wall from LiDAR and then a shot on the ground.


Finally, this white rock (you can tell that I am a geologist) was sniffed by Bubba-Doo today.