11 June 2023

The Saga of Duncan's

 It all started with a 49 year old photo.

Ralph Ferrusi, my recently reacquainted hiking partner from the southern AT in 1974, sent me this picture.


That's Don, Benji, Laura, and me (from left to right) in front of Duncan's that before that day we knew as "G" that stands for grocery in the Mileage Fact Sheet from the ATC.

It was always a nice find to come across a gas station or small store at road crossings to get some snacks or extra food.  While limited offerings, I did buy "soda, ice milk & cigs (for) 97 cents."

So after getting the above pic, that I didn't have, I tried to find it today virtually since I wasn't going to drive to see it.  

Google Maps is good for that purpose and I have used it for many road crossings along the AT.  Even better is the option to use Google Streetview.  Here you can do a virtual drive down many roads, and for some areas go back in time.  For Duncan's the view in 2009 looks like this.


Then using Google Earth and historical imagery I found the same truck here in 2010


A more recent Streetview from 2021 is here.


While the imagery doesn't go back to the 1970s, it is still a thrill to see views that reignite my memories.

Lastly, here is the USGS topo from the era showing the route in 1974.