28 September 2021

Alpha Delta House, Hanover

 I had heard from NOBO hikers that you could stay at the fraternities at Dartmouth.  After a 18 mile day, getting lost on a DOC relo I arrived at dusk in Dartmouth.

I stopped a pedestrian and asked about a frat house and he said I was standing in front of one.  So I walked up to the front door, introduced my self as a AT hiker and was invited to sleep in the basement.  I stayed here for 4 nights while my boots were repaired.  I remember watching TV at the house and ate one dinner at Thayer Hall for $3 and ACE!


This is a shot of the AD House in December 1979 when I crashed here again on a driving trip, post graduation from Towson State University.  A few years later, I stayed at a rooming house before my Outward Bound Trip in the winter in the Whites.


I also stayed in Hanover with my professor during his sabbatical on my way to the Whites for some backpacking in the mid eighties.

Lastly, there is a pretty interesting history of the frat if you click here.