30 April 2018

Car Rental part two

So I am now checking car rentals for two foreign trips.  The first one is easy, the same price at three different sites:  Direct from the car rental, plus American Airlines and Triple A.  All the same price.

The second trip is not so easy.  So to simplify, let's use the same car rental company rented from the same airport (not downtown).  Same length of rental AND same car.  So I try the same three  sites I just mentioned, then I searched from the local airport, a different airline (not flying AA this time) and then instead of the dot.com (US website) I used the countries website. 

Now the websites wanted me to cookie them so they know I was inquiring about costs from the US.  But long story short, rates were are random AND if I booked via the local site using their currency, the costs were 30% higher!  Again there are a bunch of added fees like CDW and such, but I was just looking for the base price plus taxes and airport fees.

There are benefits to prepaying as opposed to paying at the desk.  And I don't mind prepaying IF there is a chance to get a refund should something happen.

So for my first trip I will probably wait a bit and just book direct with the car rental company.

For the second trip .... I just don't know but need to do something since the summer travel time may reduce supply.

Happy shopping.


Oh yeah, I blogged about this back in March.  And a shot of the car I dinged in Martinique.  Same style of car, but this shot is in Switzerland.