20 March 2018

First Day of Spring

Equinox.  Yep, 12 hours of daylight and 12 of darkness.  The sun rises due east and sets in the west.  I am fortunate that my kitchen window faces east so as my coffee brews in the morning I can watch the sun rise.  A little bit to the south in the winter and a little bit to the north in the longer days of summer.  Watching the day unfold is one of my daily pleasures.

Besides navigation, the path of the sun is needed for my solar panel that charges the battery for a LED light on my wood pile.  Yesterday I observed the setting sun to make sure the panel gets enough light to charge, something really important when the leaves come out.

Oh yeah, we get our fourth nor'easter tomorrow dumping more snow on our region every 7 days, timed with cyclogenesis, the formation of an extratropical cyclone.  The longer daylight means it shouldn't be around too much.